Saturday, April 25, 2009

Explanation of container stowage onboard ships

There aren't too many blogs concerning international shipping.

I ran across one entitled "Shipping in South Africa".

One of the posts gives some explanation of terminology, as well as things to be considered when stowing a containership.

These days stowage is all done by computer programs.

I am so old I remember when it was done manually by guys (and only guys) who had lots of colored pencils on their desk, and if you dared touch one you got yelled at. In fact, I usually got yelled at for just entering their hollowed area. Of course I was a woman, and there was probably some superstition (or maybe it's because I was a PITA).

I'll admit they had a very difficult job, especially doing it without computers. And when the ships were full, everyone wanted one more container squeezed onboard. They use to always joke "let's get out the ship stretcher" to make room.

That's not a problem today, with most ships sailing half full.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay,
What's a "PITA"?
Brenda

Hariesh Manaadiar said...

Hi Lynda, i am the author of the post that you linked to.. Yes i also remember and used to work on the manual method of stowage planning which is a bit more intriguing and challenging specially when you have to squeeze that one container that HAS TO go on this ship..

Regards
Hariesh Manaadiar