Sunday, September 14, 2008

USDA Needs A Shake Up

The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) needs some new management.

I don't know who got what tickets to some big sporting event, but someone at the USDA must have been swayed by the big meatpackers to NOT allow a small meatpacker to test 100% for mad cow.

Furthermore, I guess the judge must have been a Bush appointee (I am just guessing, I have no idea) in order for such a stupid ruling to be issued.

That happened in late Aug.

Now today I read about the problems in Mexico with no inspection for produce.

That doesn't really bother me, because having watched USDA inspectors in packing plants, you might as well skip the inspection.

What does bother me is the one thing the USDA could do to help, they have not, and probably will not do, considering their attitude of not listening to the requests of the marketplace.

This is what one of the Mexican farmers stated

"He and other Mexican farmers with sanitary farms want the United States to set up a certification program that covers both growers and packing plants."

I know the USDA certifies that certain producers in Brazil have processes in place to kill the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, which allows them to ship to the U.S., so it's not that they haven't done this before. So, why not with Mexico?

Wouldn't this help out our neighbor to the south, maybe improve their economy so there would be more and better paying jobs? Oh, wait, sorry, that's just too logical.

No comments: