Thursday, November 17, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah

There is a video on the JOC site. This is the by-line

Ron Widdows, senior advisor to Neptune Orient Lines, says container lines will have to reduce capacity to sustain freight rates and get away from the 'destructive behavior' that is feeding steep losses.



I remember when working for a carrier, and my bosses would complain about
"the other carriers which are destroying the marketplace"...
I would retort

"That's competition....it's like K-Mart complaining about Wal-Mart".

For you young'uns, that was about 20 years ago, when Wal-Mart didn't even
have stores in New Jersey (where I lived).

My how times have changed.

Not every carrier can, or should even strive to be, the biggest in the world.

It's not always about price, although carriers are led to believe it is.

You would not believe the mark-up some NVO'S get away with, just because they
offer the service which carriers no longer offer.

I am not sure of the situation today, but use to be, if you were a Maersk customer who shipped less than 1000 TEU's a year, you didn't get to talk to a real person.
You had to use the internet, or have your forwarder or broker get the information.

For anyone who use to work for me, probably some of their memories are
me yelling "ANSWER THE PHONE".

I really can't be sympathetic to all the whining.

No comments: