Wednesday, October 1, 2008

M/V Faina Saga Continues

Update 23 Oct.
The Faina is still being held by Pirates. More from the BBC.


Oct. 1

I'm not really sure what's going on with the M/V Faina. Yesterday there were reports of shooting onboard and that 3 pirates were killed. The "spokesman" for the pirates denies that.

I had an idea that maybe they fired their guns into the air as a celebration for the ending of Ramadan, and people hearing this jumped to conclusions. It's just my guess, with nothing to base it on, so please don't quote me on this.

As far as the cargo onboard and where it's going, looks like the folks in Kenya are doing a lot of back peddling. Could be a lot of stuff has been going through their country that shouldn't be, and now they are sweating bullets (pardon the expression).


This article in the the African news is great.

Here are parts of it (if you are too lazy to click on the above).


"However, Mr Munyi denied speaking to Mr Mwangura. "I have not spoken to him and if you insist tell him to prove that I spoke to him," said Mr Munyi when contacted."

Huh?? I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh. Tina Fey take note.

And then this....

"Mr Mwangura had also asked why the Kenyan government was silent about a vessel carrying 17,000 tonnes of salt to Mombasa that was also allegedly hijacked on the same day as the Ukranian vessel.

"The vessel was suspicious because Kenya does not import salt," Mr Mwangura said."

Well now, wonder what happened to THAT ship? Assuming of course there is such a ship.

And I still don't know when the Russian vessel the Neustrashimy will get there.
Everyone seems to be keeping a lid on it's whereabouts.

No comments: