Thursday, October 9, 2008

Iceland has a steamship line - for now

I had forgotten Iceland has a steamship line, Eimskip. The article in the
Journal of Commerce quotes some unnamed source insisting their services will remain unchanged.

I guess I wouldn't give my name either if I were making that claim. Eimskip lost money in the 3rd quarter of 2008, and their shareholders owned a good chunk of the bank that just went belly up.

Iceland has a population of only 301,000. I don't even know how it got to be it's own country. North Dakota, which I am quite certain is the least populated state in the U.S., has over 600,00 inhabitants.

Anyway, if you happen to have any give-aways with the name Eimskip on them, I would hang onto them.

I expect they will be collectible very soon.

1 comment:

Lisa Olga said...

Iceland's gone belly-up - period. Now the althing has taken over all banking in the nation - effectively usurping all commerce. it is enough to make Leif and Snorri weep in their mead.