Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where's The BBC Box?

update Oct. 23 - container discharged in Shanghai
click here for more info

I was curious how far the BBC box had gone since last week. The BBC tracking site is a bit confusing - it looks like the box is just wandering around Great Britain.

There is a nice video on the BBC site which shows the container being loaded onto the ship.

I went to the NYK tracking site, and it appears they put is on a feeder vessel in Greenock to Southampton where it will be loaded on the main line ship. I'm a little curious why they sent the empty overland, but the loaded container by water. My hunch is because the weight of the loaded container exceeds the road weight limits.

Here's the status from the NYK tracking site (it won't link so I copied it)


NYKU8210506
SEP-15-2008 00:38 Arrived at first port of load Southampton, GBR Feeder

Moves to Date Event Location Mode
SEP-12-2008 15:00 Departed from first facility Greenock, GBR Feeder


Okay, now I am really confused. I won't give you the details, but I have a hunch this container is coming either to Halifax, Canada, or a port in the U.S., or maybe Manzanillo, Mexico, to be loaded on a vessel to Asia. I couldn't find any vessel on the NYK schedule going from the U.K. (or GBR, which is the UN code for Great Britain) to Asia. If I am correct, this container will have been loaded on and off a ship at least 3, maybe 4 times, from it's origin to the destination.

Does anyone out there know the transhipment hub for NYK?

Mexico is pretty cheap, that's my hunch.

No comments: